Thursday, March 20, 2008

Birth of An Old World

Those of you who are privy to the goings on in Ribasus World have gotten major ear massages about the untimely and bizarre demise of my constant companion: a little 5.1 megapixel Olympus digital camera. The picture to the left is the last one taken with DCV1 (Digital Camera Volume 1). This camera took a hit for me! It gets all honors and a proper burial. A moment of silence, please.


OK. That's enough.


It is the first day of Spring, and I have a replacement camera as of noon today. It is an exact replica of the one which martyred itself by leaping off a chair and faceplanting on its lens. Ouch! I am more of a find-a-winner-and-stick-with-it person than most people would ever suspect. An intrepid and experimental cook, I always have the same thing when I go out to eat. No expensive and disruptive surprises for me! NNnnnooOOOOOooooo. I did get brand new camera immediately, since I cannot function without one. But, it just didn't do it for me. Why? It was too fussy, and it was unfamiliar. Plus, it did not like the color red and that was a dealbreaker. If I am going to dive into a steep learning curve, I am going to get into some seriously deep and wide waters... the waters of high end digital SLR's. I can do that now and at my leisure, and the right one will present itself in due course.


The journey of utter stress that being sans camera buddy for an entire week and a day provided for me was to see how deeply my creative process is invested with my tools. When the camera committed hari kari, I felt as though I had lost a colleague. I thought of all the good times... the magazine work, the photoshoots, the stills of my work, the portraits... all things which were way WAY beyond the capabilities of a point-and-shoot and yet, this little camera was able to produce professional results. I realized that I had a glass and metal appendage which I was dependant upon for a daily outlet of creativity. That's heavy.


Simplistic Spiritual Insight of the Day:
So, you see, there is really no such thing as channeling. It is all about partnership between you and other-than-you. Whether it is a camera or a conceptualization of Great Spirit, it is still the same partnership... and that is how we define our reality.

No comments: